19.3.11

Antoun's, Sadat Street Hamra

A few weeks ago, errands for musically-inclined members of my family took me into Antoun's, a music shop in Hamra. It's a lovely old shop, the kind that transports you to a different world once you're inside. The proprietor was kind, helpful. I left the shop feeling glad to have entered there.

Follow-up business brought me back to his shop a few days ago. After seeing to all the items on my list, I asked if I could take a photo of his shop. "Of course," he said. With a deep sigh he continued, "I'm old, and my shop is old. It was very beautiful once, but that was 50 years ago. And now. . . ." he trailed off.

"Now," I told him, "it is still beautiful."

6 comments:

  1. Your photo makes the place look warm and inviting. I hope Mr. Antoun will see it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish Mr Antoun would have posed in front of his beautiful pianos! I love the feel of his music shop and tell him I said so!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice shot of a beautiful shop, old or not.

    Darryl and Ruth : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks like a great little place. I'm learning piano at the moment, so love these shops!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So touching! Beautiful photo and story. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Unfortunately, Antoun passed away about a half a year ago. Some time in the end of 2016, the shop is liquidating all it's items. I remember i learned how to play guitar under Antoun, good guy.

    ReplyDelete