26.7.11

Tiles Downtown

Downtown Beirut is squeaky-clean, new or newly renovated, full of high-end living, shopping and dining. Tucked in there with all the sleek, new, well-kept buildings is this one:

See it? See the mini-tiles on the facade?

I never would have expected to find a tiled building in that neighborhood; surprising that it survived intact, more surprising still that it survived reconstruction.

Chances are, if I hadn't gone looking for tiled facades I never would have noticed this building.  But when I consider how many tiled buildings there are in Beirut it makes me smile to know that there's one downtown too.

1 comment:

  1. I know that ivy has a softening effect, but I would want them to remove it because eventually it will destroy part of the structure!

    ReplyDelete